When I call home with audio only, my kids are distracted -- we speak only for a few seconds. There is no real connection. But, with FaceTime (mobile video calling), everything changes. My kids are focused. They engage. They are playful. They are silly. And so am I ....
FaceTime is fun -- it's as simple as that. And, speaking of "simple", FaceTime IS simple -- easy to use. That too is critical. The kids can roam around the house while they FaceTime me, and I can feel like I am there too. They can hilariously hold the phone to our two dogs -- which they did -- and I could command them to "sit" (which they did)! Yes, they were a bit confused at first (their heads did that slight doggy tilt) -- but, they ultimately focused on the iPhone screen and both saw/heard me convince them to follow my command. Classic! All of us were rolling.
Long-time readers of my blog know that, prior to running Sorenson Media, I was CEO of SightSpeed -- THE video chat leader before video chat became main-stream (with Skype, FaceTime, etc.). So, I have always believed in the uniquely transformative power of video communications.
Nevertheless, I continue to be amazed at the true differentiating power of video over audio-only communication. I always believed it -- but, we now live it as an everyday part of our lives. Let's not forget that only a couple years back -- maybe 5 -- the vast majority of folks believed that consumer video chat would never amount to anything.
Now look at FaceTime. Now look at Skype. Now look at Logitech's Vid (which is the evolution of the SightSpeed video chat service that they acquired in 2008).
Now, just take a look ....