So, what's the verdict on the production? Not surprisingly, the music was outstanding. And, equally not surprising, Billie Joe Armstrong was outstanding in his role (which is a secondary one). He is a born entertainer. The male lead also was outstanding. So far, so good.
But, as much as I wanted to like the production ... really like it ... I never got to that point. In fact, by the show's end, things had begun to drag and I was ready to call it a night. Why? Because the story itself was a jumbled mess for me -- very difficult to follow. So, the musical played more like a Green Day concert that was mostly sung without Green Day than an actual Broadway production. Overall, a strong story would have made the overall experience much more memorable -- the music itself was born to be that way.
Nonetheless, I saw Billie Joe ... which was very very cool. And, that alone was worth the price of admission.