Throughout my travels, I walked the cities -- and I took the subways and trains; I never took a single taxi.
My constant companion on my trip? My iPod -- and the band Muse -- and their remarkable new album "The Resistance". While I have always liked the band -- I have seen them twice just this past year (including their phenomenal show in the desert at Coachella) -- I never fully understood them or appreciated their music. I always kind of considered them a poor man's Radiohead. Not anymore I don't. Now, I understand how original they really are right now. Now, I "get" it.
Their music is poetic, bombastic, romantic -- it is theater -- it is opera mixed with a healthy dose of Pink Floyd (to understand what I mean, listen to the song "Exogenesis: Symphony Part 1 (Overture)" from The Resistance. Really listen to it -- with head-phones. And, with the volume cranked up ... really really loudly.
Now, picture yourself walking along the Thames ... or the Seine ... in the cold autumn air.
Do you "get" it?
Thought so. And, that's the power of Muse.
That's what I did throughout my trip. I walked ... I listened ... and got lost in the music (that really does happen). Muse's "The Resistance" was absolutely the soundtrack for my Euro trip -- and a significant ingredient to the overall European experience (since they are a wholly European band with European-styled operatic MUSE-ic).
(One more thing -- if you ever get a chance to see them live -- do it. They are the single most impressive arena rock band on the scene right now -- ahead of U2 -- ahead of Coldplay. Ahead of everyone.)