Jumat, 10 Juni 2011

Pandora -- $1.9 Billion Valuation, Really? Smells Like 2000 ...

Pandora just upped the price of its IPO -- which now values the company at about $1.9 billion. And, this from a company with profitability still nowhere in sight. Yes, massive user base, but no proven business model. I recently blogged about this -- click here.

Of course, this never stopped YouTube, Twitter, Skype, or Groupon (which itself is in the midst of IPO mania right now). The difference is that YouTube, Twitter and Skype never went public -- and 2 of the 3 were gobbled up by two of the few handful of companies that could afford to lose big initially on the service itself for the sake of long-term strategic benefits that are not necessarily tied only to that service. Once Pandora goes public, that kind of "big fish" result is not in the cards (or, at a minimum, extremely difficult).

I love the service. But, not so much to invest in it. I am clicking Pandora's "thumbs down" on this one.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...