Kamis, 19 Mei 2011

Cathay Pacific -- Making Flying Fun Again (Yes, Actually Fun!)

It's been a while since I last posted, and that's because I have been on the road for quite some time. Oh, the joys of business travel.

We all know how painful it is to fly -- endless hassles. When was the last time it was enjoyable? Yes, human flight is incredible. But, hassle-free? Not anymore. I had essentially written off that concept as a vestige of a simpler time.

That just changed on this most recent business trip where I just experienced the joy of flying again for the first time in over 10 years -- and I wasn't flying 1st Class ... or even Business Class. It was good old Economy (not even Economy "Plus"). And, I mean I really enjoyed it.

Hard to believe, but here were the ingredients:

(1) a beautiful and hassle-free airport with lighter security (no shoes off, no belts off, no coats off) -- Hong Kong;

(2) an airline that actually believes in using airplanes from the modern era -- Cathay Pacific and its Boeing 777 (which is a great airplane -- comfortable seats; reclinable without getting in the face of the person behind you; huge overhead compartment; restrooms actually usable by real human beings);

(3) plenty of courteous flight attendants who actually smiled and seemingly were authentically happy to assist and make our flights comfortable;

(4) actual meal service (even on a 2 hour flight) for no additional charge; and

(5) amazing service all around, not only from the flight attendants -- but also from every Cathay Pacific person with whom I interacted (at the check-in kiosk, at the jet way, on the plane).

THAT is how to do it -- and, the flight was reasonably priced.

It was fun. Really really fun. (As I write this, I can't believe that I am writing this because the topic is air travel -- but it is true -- and it is eye-opening.) Attention to detail. Attention to the customer. Basic things. Cathay Pacific got it right. Wish others could do the same ... or at least sincerely try.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...