The Vikes were down by 4, at their own 20 yard line, 80 yards to go, needing a TD, and no time-outs. Who was at the helm? Brett Favre -- #4 wearing purple (of all things). There was a hush in the Metrodome. He was too old to march the team down to victory, right? (Most sports writers seemed to write him off before the year began -- he became a running joke.)
But there he was -- doinking the ball down field. 7 yards here -- 12 yards there. Down to the 33 yard line -- but only 13 seconds left (and 3rd down WITH NO TIMEOUTS!) Then, the old man steps back, scrambles a bit, and throws an improbable and impossible rope to the back of the end zone -- and is caught with literally a millimeter between the receiver's foot and the back of the goal line. THE VIKES WIN (in one of the most thrilling games I have ever seen - and I have watched a lot over the years).
So, Csathy, once again, what does this have to do with digital media and technology?
Quite simply -- the game is a remarkable study of what it takes to win and succeed -- and Brett Favre exemplifies the single most important ingredient. And, that is passion. Love of the game. Dedication. Plain old tenacity and hard work. Ultimately, a "never say die" attitude (I have written about this several times before.)
I love watching Favre play -- I must admit, I loved watching him play all those years when he was wearing green and playing my purple team. He is everything good in sport. He's a little kid out there. He has fun. He loves the game. (That's why he retired -- then unretired -- then retired again -- and then retired again; he simply can't leave the game he loves ... and who can blame him?)
Favre's "ingredients" are the ingredients that make for a successful team.
They don't guarantee victory. But, they give you a helluva much better chance to succeed ...
(As a post-script -- can't wait for next Monday night's game when Favre and his purple team play the Packers for the first time. The kid will be out in full force again .... )